Claus manage by himself
Claus needs permanent support in connection with his activities in the kitchen so that he can manage by himself and, in this context, he finds the VELA Tango El sit-stand chair particularly useful.
Claus has lived with cerebral palsy all his life. The paralysis is mainly evident in the left side of his body. A few years ago, Claus suffered a fracture in the lumbar area when he had a fall. This meant that Claus needed a new kitchen, and that he needs permanent support in connection with his activities in the kitchen so that he can manage by himself.
There is space for legs under the cooker, so it can easily be used by a seated person. The oven is placed at a height and opens to the side, so it is easy to use.
Claus has problems with his balance and finds it difficult to get up. He also has problems with his knees and with walking, so now and then he has to use his walking frame or electric wheelchair.
He has help every morning and evening, for example with getting dressed, but otherwise he manages daily life himself, both in the kitchen, at mealtimes, and doing daily chores at home.
Making daily life easier
To keep active after his fall, Claus has been given a VELA Tango El Sit-stand Chair with a shallow seat and electric adjustment of the sitting height. The electric adjustment of the sitting height is essential for Claus, e.g. when he has to stand, since he has stiff hips.
Claus and his therapist discussed issues carefully. The oven with side opening and the dishwasher are placed at height so he can operate them easily while using his chair. When he uses the chair in the kitchen, it is easy for him to adjust the chair height. The chair's shallow seat is also ideal: Claus will not pinch the backs of his thighs when using it for supported standing, and the seat ensures an active sitting position at the same time.
Claus on the VELA Tango El sit-stand chair
- I use the chair for kitchen work, food preparation and eating. In the kitchen I set the seat high so I can stand at the kitchen table and work and use the oven easily.
- I always put the brake on! I've fallen off a chair because I forgot to put the brake on, so now I've learned my lesson.
- The seat is really good, especially when I stand up. The shallow seat also means that I don't pinch the backs of my thighs, and it provides good support when I stand. The seat is also good for sitting on when I use the chair at the dining table.
- It is easy to adjust the seat height electrically, and when I set the chair high, I almost stand up. This is essential for me because I can't bend my hips much.
- It's easy to move around the kitchen in the chair because of the large wheels, which roll smoothly across the floor.